Hey readers! No more Monday memes… Instead I’ll post weekly wrap-up either on Sunday or Monday. Usually Sundays are lazy or busy family day so you might not see this post, in that case expect it on Monday like today.
So how my first week of 2020 looked-
Yes, yes, I’m keeping diary/journal and it’s trial and error thing right now so bear with this not so fancy and artsy bullet journal you’re used to see on Instagram and Pinterest. I observed I read max when I’m not blogging or staying away from social medias. I even read faster without those distractions. Do you feel the same?
So what I read last week-
Three weeks before her wedding day, Alexandra decides to walk away from the perfect life, the one that involves 1.9 children and a dog in a 3-bedroomed semi with a 50-ft long garden. Why she decides to take her broken heart to sultry Spain is a mystery… or perhaps destiny.
Maggie, an expat of over thirty years with an outgoing personality and more secrets than the Interpol’s most wanted, introduces Alex, via her famed expat magazine CostaNations, to the ins and outs of living in Spain—but more importantly, to the quirks of dating Spanish men.
Before she finishes reading that chapter, sultry Carlos Rivera walks into Alex’ life (or rather swindles her out of a potent sweet wine whilst she’s having breakfast on her first morning), and from there, the cat-and-mouse game begins.
But is it the Spanish men Alex has to watch out for or is someone close to her hiding a much darker secret?
Add in a fiery Flamenco dancer whom Alex befriends, a pharmacist who has a cocktail of (legal) drugs ready for every expat’s trifles, and two cheeky young children, and you get a peculiar mix of people rooting for Alex, who innocently finds herself in the midst of a clandestine operation.
Will she unravel the mystery before her heart falls for the beauty of the arid lands called Málaga? Or will the man with the mysterious past entrap her first?
This was my fifth Cristina Hodgson book. It was good but not best like her previous books I read. Maybe because it was different from previous reads and I kept losing grip on this. But It was enjoyable sure. Review will be up later this week.
Meet Kara Hartman, a young painter living and working in D.C. She would love to let you believe she is just an ordinary young woman with a dream of sharing her art with the world. But she is hiding an astonishing secret: Kara can wield magic, the most powerful force in the universe. Traumatized by the loss of her brother, she wants nothing more to do with magic. But when an old foe resurfaces, hellbent on destroying all that she loves, Kara has no choice but to embrace the only power that can stop her.
I finished 90% of this book by Sunday night. I’ll read remaining 10% today. I’ve mixed opinion on this. It was not that great. Some part I enjoyed some I didn’t mainly because of writing. I’ll post review soon, maybe next week.
What I’m reading next-
Hours after a thoroughbred racehorse collapses and dies after finishing last in a race he was favored to win, his trainer—a young woman with a promising career—is found dead on a suburban Chicago beach. To the police, it’s a simple case of murder-suicide. But Mike Hegan, veteran police detective, refuses to believe the official story. Instead of retiring like they want him to, he embarks upon a search for the truth, and finds himself on a Caribbean island where scores are settled—and lives are lost.Fans of James Patterson and other crime ficttion writers will find a new hero in Mike Hegan—a detective who defies convention to make sure that justice is served.
I read Scopas Factor by the same author in 2019. Author sent another book in Nov. This, I guess, is prequel of Scopas Factor. I’ll read and will let you know if I’m right.
A December to remember…
Christmas in a Cornish castle? Sign Ivy Starforth up! Hired to kit out the holiday rental as the world’s most Instagramable festive dreamland, there’s only one thing standing in the way of her hefty paycheque – the lord of the manor.
Bill Markham could give Scrooge a run for his money but Ivy is firmly #TeamChristmas…even if her handsome host seems to be doing everything he can to sabotage her staging. Maybe she shouldn’t have stumbled in on him starkers in the hot tub?
As the temperature outside cools, things inside the castle heat up. It’s been a long time since Ivy allowed herself to give in to temptation…surely one little kiss under the mistletoe won’t hurt?
I meant to read this in December but I forgot I had this book until I log in on NetGalley to check new books to request. Hopefully I’ll finish it this weekend.
What did you read last week?
What are you planning to read this week?
Have you read any of these books?
Follow me on-